Just the Facts
When: Tonight, 7:00 PM
Where: TD Garden – Boston, MA
How to follow: NESN, SN, 98.5 The Sports Hub
Rival SBN site: PensBurgh
Know Your Enemy
- 23-11-2 for 48 points, tied for 2nd in East
- Sidney Crosby: 35GP, 14G, 25A, 39PTS; Jake Guentzel: 36GP, 14G, 20A, 34PTS; Bryan Rust: 36GP, 14G, 14A, 28PTS
- Casey DeSmith: 8-3-0, 1.91 GAA, .929 save percentage
- The Boston Bruins last saw the Pittsburgh Penguins on the road on March 16. The Bruins took an early lead in the first period with a power-play goal from David Pastrnak. But Brandon Tanev tied the game later in the period. The Bruins lost Jarred Tinordi during the second period after Tanev came at him from across center ice for a hit that sent him into the boards. Trent Frederic put the Bruins on top in the third period. Daniel Vladar earned his first NHL win in his first career start with the 2-1 victory.
- Vladar will be back between the pipes tonight. He’s only appeared in two games, and is 2-0 this season. Vladar made 34 saves against the Penguins last game, including a remarkable diving stick save on Colton Sceviour. Vladar made this second game appearance, first in Boston, last Saturday against the Buffalo Sabres. During the March 27 game, he made 25 saves in the 3-2 win.
- The Bruins are 3-1 against the Penguins this season. The Bs defeated the Penguins in both games in Boston, with one of those wins coming in overtime. The Bruins are 4/13 on the power play against Pittsburgh, scoring once on the man-advantage in each game. The Pens are 1/17 on the power play against the Bruins.
- It has seemed like a bumpy stretch for the Bruins lately with scoring and power play struggles, but the Bruins are 4-1-1 since they last saw the Penguins. The Pens are on a four-game win streak, defeating the Sabres and New York Islanders two games apiece.
- Head-to-head, the Bruins edge out the Penguins in goals, 10-8. Brad Marchand has points in each of the four meetings against Pittsburgh, registering one goal and four assists. Charlie McAvoy has four assists and Patrice Bergeron has two goals and one assist. For the Penguins, the eight goals were scored by eight different players. Sidney Crosby has one goal and two assists in the four games.
- Kasperi Kapanen and Evgeni Malkin are still out for the Penguins and that will help the Bruins. They each had three points against the Bs this season. Malkin was injured in the March 16 game against the Bruins.
- Pittsburgh will also likely be without Tristan Jarry tonight. He left Monday’s game in the first period after sustaining an injury and was absent from practice yesterday.
- Sean Kuraly was cleared yesterday to practice with the team. Cassidy said they will determine when it’s best to integrate him back into the lineup, whether that’s tonight or this weekend. Jake DeBrusk is still limited by COVID protocols and has not skated with the team yet. Cassidy thinks he’s probably a few days out from being able to participate in practice.
See ya tonight!