Just the facts
When: Tonight, 7: 30 PM
Where: TD Garden – Boston, MA
How to follow: TNT, 98.5 The Sports Hub
Rival SBN site: Broad Street Hockey
Know your enemy
- The Philadelphia Flyers have played one preseason game so far, losing 3-2 in overtime to the New York Islanders. They were outshot 29-27 and went 0/3 on their power plays.
- Carter Hart played two periods during the game while Samuel Ersson closed out the third. Hart made 17 saves on 18 shots while Ersson made 9 saves on 11 shots.
- Head coach Alain Vigneault said that forward Tanner Laczynski will likely miss this season with a hip injury. The young center played five games during 2020-21 before that season was cut short due to injury.
- Tonight is preseason game #3 of 6 for the Boston Bruins and the first in Boston! In the two exhibition games, the Bruins are 1-1. The Bruins have 51 total shots on net. In two games, the penalty kill has been 100% in nine situations, while the B’s power play is 0/8.
- Jeremy Swayman, Troy Grosenick, Linus Ullmark and Kyle Keyser have all split time in net this preseason. Three of the goaltenders have each allowed one goal, while Ullmark allowed two.
- John Moore and Jack Studnicka lead the Bruins with two preseason points each. With one preseason appearance so far each, Studnicka and Tomas Nosek have the most shots on net. Forwards Jesper Froden, Fabian Lysell, Oskar Steen, Anton Blidh, and defensemen Moore, Tyler Lewington, and Urho Vaakanainen have appeared in both games.
- While some veterans have been on the traveling rosters, it’s been a tale of the Bruins’ youth this preseason. Froden has gotten two good looks and Lysell has showed his skill. But as this is a nationally broadcast preseason game, it’s likely more of the Bruins’ top lines and defensive pairings will be sprinkled into the lineup.
- There has been some set-up of potential lines/parts of lines for the regular season. On Sunday we saw Jake DeBrusk and Erik Haula together. They netted a goal apiece and also both goals of the shootout. Both have skated on the same line during training camp. While Nick Foligno would likely round out that potential third line, Froden has fit in nicely these past games.
- On Tuesday, there was also the rollout of what the fourth line COULD look like (keyword – could - since this line is usually fluid). That line was Trent Frederic, Tomas Nosek and Curtis Lazar. The three have skated with each other throughout camp, but had a hard time collectively finding chemistry. Frederic had a less than ideal night, but Nosek was all over the offensive zone with seven shots.
- This preseason game will be on TNT! You’ll remember back in the spring that the NHL and Turner Sports signed a multi-year broadcast deal. This will be the B’s only preseason game on the network, but they’ll have 13 regular season games broadcasted throughout the year.
See ya tonight!